The markets of Chartres and its suburbs
Place Billiards, in the Baltard-style market hall, the producers of Chartres and its surroundings sell their wares on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 7 am to 1 pm, near the cathedral. Butchers, cheesemakers, poultry dealers... Their fresh produce and irrepressible good humour will make you come back for more, guaranteed!
A market of organic produce is held at the Billiards every Wednesday from 5 pm to 8 pm.
You'll also find markets closer to home in the villages around Chartres!
- In Lucé, Rue des Ecoles, Wednesdays from 8 am to 1 pm - a butcher and green grocer are always present.
- In Champhol, on the Place de la Mairie, on Sunday morning, meats and delicatessen products, poultry, cheese and, of course, fruits and vegetables.
- Place de l'Eglise in Dammarie, Friday late afternoons for fruit & veg and cheese with a pizza stall ready to take your order! On Thursdays products from La Réunion transport you to the Indian Ocean and its specialities.
- At Fontenay-sur-Eure, Place de l'Eglise, on Thursdays from 4 pm, come and meet your fruit & veg man and a pizza maker.
- In Jouy on Saturday from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm, all kinds of food for sale.
- At Morancez on the Market Square, on Sunday from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm - fruit and vegetables, poultry, fresh spit roasted chicken, cheeses, fish, oysters and flowers. On the first Sunday of each month, local wines and spirits are sold.
- Finally in Maintenon, every Thursday morning, enjoy the market in the village centre on the Place Aristide Briand, for high quality products from various merchants, fishmongers, cheese makers, florists and many more.
This is only a partial list of markets around Chartres. Get in touch to find out more about the market closest to where you're staying.
Stroll through the streets of the city of Chartres and admire the thousand colours that cloak the Place du Cygne during the flower market on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, all day from 8 am to 7 pm.
Markets selling more than just food products
8 am 7 pm on Saturdays - market of manufactured goods (textiles etc.) at the Butte Charbonniers in Chartres, great deals guaranteed!
Wednesdays and Sundays from 7 am to 1 pm, a market of food and highly varied non-food stalls in the Beaulieu district.
At Lucé, in the Rue des Ecoles, on Sundays from 8 am to 1 pm, a dozen vendors offer food, flowers and manufactured goods (clothing, accessories bazaar etc.). Load up on good deals!
On the Market Place at Mainvilliers, Thursdays from 8 am to 1 pm, sixty merchants offer food and manufactured goods for all tastes.
Cueillettes - pick your own
More and more people these days like to choose products of good quality directly from local producers. The idea of the "cueillette" (literally 'pick your own') is very popular around Chartres - you can share a good time picking your fruits, vegetables or flowers all year round, and stock up on local produce available in the shops attached to these picking places. Drinks, jams, crackers, cheeses, meats and many treats more await you at a great wholesale prices.
The cueillette de Seresville, north of Chartres, is open every day of the year from 9 am to noon and from 2.15 pm to 7 pm. It covers about 20 hectares and offers 200 varieties of fruits, vegetables and flowers. The most favourable crop period is usually from late April to mid-November, with the best quality products and the widest variety. This cueillette also proposes visits for children (schools), so they can discover the production of food with several different themes.
The Ferme du Verger, at Ouerray, is open all year from 9:15 am to noon and 2:15 pm to 7 pm except Sundays, Monday mornings and public holidays. Thirty fruits and vegetables for you to pick as the seasons change, the best time being from April to October: strawberries, raspberries, lettuce, courgettes, tomatoes, leeks and much more. The shop, in turn, is open all year round and offers a diversity of local produce.
Preparing delicious meals with fresh, local produce - here's how!